Location: 22 Shepherd Labs
- Grazing Incidence Reflectivity Manual [ PDF 333kB]
- High Resolution Diffraction and Rocking Curve Manual [ PDF 280kB]
- In-Plane Diffraction Manual [ PDF 233kB]
- Reciprocal Space Mapping Manual [ PDF 19kB]
- The Panalytical X'Pert Diffractometer is a highly advanced, versatile materials characterization system. Interchangeable PreFIX incident and diffracted beam optics can be configured for optimal measurement of high resolution scans, reflectivity experiments, or for in-plane diffraction.
- Choice of PreFIX incident beam optics include a graded parabolic x-ray mirror with automatic attenuator, four-bounce Ge(220) monochromator, hybrid four-bounce monochromator with mirror and automatic attenuator, fixed divergence slits, or x-ray lens.
- High resolution goniometer with optically encoded sample positioning enables a minimum step size of 0.0001°.
- 1/2 circle Eulerian cradle with motorized sample stage enables sample tilts of +/- 90°, in-plane rotation of 360°, in-plane X and Y translations of 100 mm, and vertical Z displacement of 11 mm.
- Selectable line or point focus 1.8kW sealed ceramic copper x-ray tube source.
- Triple axis setup utilizes a three bounce (022) channel cut Ge crystal to provide an acceptance angle of 12 arc seconds.
- The parallel plate collimator has a 0.27° acceptance angle with an optional 0.1 mm collimator slit to improve the resolution at 2? angles less than 4°.
- 2 sealed proportional detectors with a large dynamic range.
Sample Applications Include:
- High Resolution
- Rocking curves
- Superlattice scans
- Reciprocal space maps
- Substrate offcut
- Epitaxial layer tilt
- Layer relaxation
- Epitaxial layer mismatch
- Composition analysis structure of grain boundaries in ceramics
- Magnetic films on chromium
- Identification of precipitates in materials
- Analysis of nanoparticle sizes